This year for our Independence Day cookout I decided to make panna cotta. I first had panna cotta on our wild European vacation, and it was love at first bite. It was simple to make that I felt a little guilty serving it to guests. Panna cotta is basically a dairy pudding made with gelatin, and it is extremely delicious.
Vanilla Panna Cotta
2 cups whole milk ( 1 percent will work as well)
1 tablespoon powdered gelatin
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream
A pinch of salt
1 tbsp of vanilla extract
2 cups assorted fresh berries
1. Sprinkle geletin over milk in a saucepan and let stand for 3 to 5 minutes
2. Heat milk over medium heat until geletin dissolves approximately 5 minues.
3. Add cream sugar vanilla and salt and continue cooking mixture until sugar completely dissolves 5 - 7 minutes
4. Remove from heat and pour into containers. (I used plastic wine glasses from the dollar store and filled them approximately 2/3 full). Allow to cool and place in refrigerator to set.
5. Once set add mixed berries on top.