This is by far the most versatile dish we make at our house. Also known simply as Macaroni and Beef, it is a simple mixture of elbow macaroni and ground beef in a tomato sauce. Though rarely added in most classic recipes, I find garlic to be a welcome addition to the flavors of this dish.
16 oz. dry elbow macaroni
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, grated
1 small onion finely chopped
1/2 cup diced green pepper (optional)
1 lb ground beef
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 26 oz. jar prepared tomato sauce, preferably meat flavored
1 cup water
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried parsley
salt and pepper
grated Parmesan Cheese
- Prepare pasta according to package direction. While pasta is cooking heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- add garlic, onion and green pepper (optional) to skillet. add a pinch of salt and cook until onions are slightly translucent.
- add ground beef to the pan. season with a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper. cook until all the beef has been browned.
- add the flour to the pan and cook for an additional 2 minutes in order to completely cook the flour and then add the prepared tomato sauce and water. (I usually add the water to the empty jar in order to get the last of the sauce out.).
- finally add the basil, oregano, and parsley and stir to combine. pour the meat sauce over the cooked and drained elbow macaroni and serve with grated Parmesan.