Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Worship Wednesdays: Saying Goodbye?

So, I had to say goodbye to someone last week that, without realizing it, had become one of my personal heroes of the faith. My wife's grandmother passed away last Monday evening in the same house she was born in surrounded by her family. She and her late husband were an inspiration to me and my wife in so many ways. Grammie, as we called her, was a sweet spirit. As gentle as the day is long, full of love and kindness that seemed to fill the very air of her house.

I remember the first time I met my wife's grandparents. We had just started dating and she had invited me to go with her and her family for a visit. From the moment I met them they welcomed me not only into their home but into their hearts. Looking back I realize that they were simply following Jesus's command to love their neighbor.

Over time they became as close to my heart as my own grandparents had been and now that they are gone, my soul mourns their passing but at the same time rejoices in that they are with the Father in heaven. It is a bitter sweet feeling that cannot be put into words, for although my wife and I will miss her terribly, we also rejoice with the angels of heaven as they welcome her to her true home. There is great comfort in knowing that we will see Grammie and Grampie on that shore in the sweet by and by.

No comments:

Post a Comment