Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas

Christmas morning found me waking at 7 am to my daughter waiting outside my door holding her kitten in her arms. So I dragged my wife and myself out of bed so we could exchange gifts. Christmas fell on a Sunday this year so we were blessed to go to church in the morning. Pastor kept the service short, so I only planned for three songs during the worship service. His message was centered around accepting God's gift of his Son (John 3:16) into our hearts once again. It was a great way to remember the reason we celebrate and also to prepare our hearts for the new year to come.

After service we enjoyed a Christmas dinner consisting of a Pork Crown Roast (this was the first time I had ever prepared one of these), Brussels sprouts, roasted red potatoes, Portuguese stuffing, green bean casserole (courtesy of my sister in-law), apples and cranberries, sweet potatoes, and carrots. As I looked out over the feast before me, I was overwhelmed by just how blessed I am. Sometimes I can get so caught up in the day to day stuff of life, that I forget all the little miracles that surround me everyday.

After dinner and dessert, we headed down to South Kingston to my cousin's house to visit with my family. Though I felt similar feeling of blessings it was bitter sweet as I realized this was another Christmas without my Dad. It really hit home when my aunts and uncles posed for a photo. I had to fight back the tears as I thought about how much my dad would have loved to have been there. Even now as I think about it I can feel the lose as fresh as the day he passed. but again I am reminded that God sent his Son so that I could cry out "Abba, Father". I remember that I have a heavenly Father that loves me and will be with me forever.

So as Christmas comes to a close, I just want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, and to remind you that God can do for you what he has done for me. For as the Psalmist says "You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment