Thursday, October 29, 2009

In Memorium

On Wednesday, Allen Lorentson, one of my best and dearest friends, went home to be with the Lord. A friend like Al only comes around once in a lifetime. From the first day we met he was generous and sincere in his friendship toward my wife and myself.

You see I have always had trust and self esteem issues, it is only in the last few years that I have grown comfortable and confident in the person God has made me to be. I have always rationalized people being friends with me as either they wanted something from me or were just tolerating me for the sake of being polite, but not Al. Al never made me feel that way. He was just so genuine that the sincerity of his friendship cast aside any of my own insecurities. He wasn't perfect, and he acknowledged that with a humbleness that we could all aspire to, and when he stumbled he didn't stay down, but moved on in the grace of God sharing that grace with all around him.

He was generous as well. I remember the first time he invited my family on his family's annual camping trip. He made us feel, as he always did, like a part of the family. It became a tradition after that, so much so, that when one year we were facing financial difficulties he paid our share of the camp site so we could be there. He treated me like a little brother, and when my father passed last year he comforted me and shared my grief. He has always opened his home to us and shown true christian hospitality. If there was ever a man that exemplified true biblical masculinity it was Allen. He was a servant leader in his home, a loving father, a devoted husband, a true faithful friend.

Al were all gonna miss you, but as I told my daughter last night, we'll see you again when we all get to heaven. Debbie, Alicia, Erica, this song is for you...

No comments:

Post a Comment